While in England, I was blessed to start and host a small women's Bible Study in our flat. Helen was one of the ladies in the Bible Study, and during that time together, we became good friends! I fell in love with Helen's gentle wisdom and love for the Lord.
She is also an extremely content person and was extremely laid-back about her "travel itinerary"(she had visited D.C. on a previous trip, which was good, because we are NOT the best "tour guides":-). More than anything, Helen was happy to just spend time with our family and I could not have felt more special that she wanted to do that. Thank you Helen for a sweet time together.

Auntie Helen knows how to win the hearts of young children. One of the first things she wanted to do was have the girls open presents that she brought over for us from the UK! Don't you just love the gift bag?
She is also an extremely content person and was extremely laid-back about her "travel itinerary"(she had visited D.C. on a previous trip, which was good, because we are NOT the best "tour guides":-). More than anything, Helen was happy to just spend time with our family and I could not have felt more special that she wanted to do that. Thank you Helen for a sweet time together.

Auntie Helen knows how to win the hearts of young children. One of the first things she wanted to do was have the girls open presents that she brought over for us from the UK! Don't you just love the gift bag?

Jillian was beyond excited about her Little Kitty notebook, pen, and heart clips! All very "grown-up" stationary items for a five year old girl!

It was a touch and feel Usborne book that she loves "reading"!
That evening we enjoyed some lasagna dinner and raspberry cream pie and then played Settlers of Catan for a couple of hours!
------------------------------
The next day was Wednesday and our MOPS group had an Easter playdate at the church. I had volunteered to help set-up, so Helen happily came along and helped us all get ready for the FUN!

I forget why I asked Helen to hold onto these eggs for us, but it turned into being a great opportunity to snap a photo of my sweet friend!

Then back inside to decorate cupcakes with a coconut nest and Easter jellybeans eggs! Each of the girls made two cupcakes.

Jillian gave her first completed cupcake to Auntie Helen. It was really sweet the instant liking that Jillian took to Helen. Jillian held Helen's hand often while we were together and she told Helen multiple times that she loved her.

I didn't a get picture of Faith's completed cupcake because she was too eager to eat hers all up!
After the playdate at the church, we went back home, had lunch, and I put the girls down for their afternoon nap and then we made our way to D.C. later in the afternoon with Brad (after he got home from work)!
--------------------------------
The first place we went to while in downtown D.C. was the Smithsonian American Indian Museum.

We had never been there before and enjoyed seeing a lot of the Native American exhibits and artifacts!

Anna's first photo with our nation's Capital and her Mommy and Daddy!
After a little wandering in downtown D.C. we made our way to Union Station and had dinner at Johnny Rockets for some delicious hamburgers and fries!
-------------------------
The next day, I have entitled my "FAVORITE Local" Day!
We started off our day by taking Jillian to be with Brad at the NIH for "Take Your Child to Work Day". Helen was enthused to see the renowned NIH campus (it is the world's largest biomedical research institution) because she is a scientist (and actually works in the same building Brad worked at Addenbrooke's Hospital doing his research).
Next, we went on a fun adventure to the Unique Thrift Store and we did some shopping for some "unique" souvenirs from her time in the USA with us! We found some great stuff. :-)
After that, we made our way to Germantown to introduce Helen to the best American fastfood...Chick-Fil-A! Finally, we made our way to the Dutch market to buy some goodies for our dinner that night and to introduce her to the Amish (and/ or Mennonite) community and their amazing food!

I took this picture of Helen after our adventures that day! She is holding her delicious strawberry ice-cream shake from Chick-Fil-A, an "aeroplane" plate that says the National Air and Space Museum on it, and a one-dollar coin!
Helen often has friends with young children over to her home and was delighted that she can now serve her young friends food on a special memorable plate from the USA! ( It gave the both of us some good laughs. We couldn't believe our good fortune that we found this plate during our search.)
And even more exciting was that while we were checking out the cashier didn't have any dollar bills left in her drawer, so she gave us a one dollar coin with a photo of Sacagawea on it (which was the perfect souvenir from the American Indian Museum!). :-) I was jumping up and down, I was so excited!!!

Then she read the girls a book about the oceans. Faith was so tuckered out from all of our fun adventures, she fell asleep right on Auntie Helen's shoulder.
----------------------------
The next morning, Helen, Brad, Faith and I woke up early to watch the much anticipated royal wedding with blueberry scones and Twinings English breakfast tea. It was a beautiful wedding, and Brad and I really enjoyed having Helen's "inside scoop" to the British perspective on the events of the day! :-)
I felt so very honored that Helen came to visit us and I could not have enjoyed my time more with my dear friend. We shared some wonderful memories.














No comments:
Post a Comment