Family Photo

Family Photo

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters


    I found these videos greatly encouraging and insightful. Dr. Meg Meeker offers great wisdom
    for how men can develop and maintain healthy relationships with their daughters.

I have paraphrased some of the highlight points that I took from the videos:
       ** More than teaching your daughter to play the clarinet well, it is important to teach your 
      daughter to have a heart of service.  Serve along your daughter at Habitat for Humanity
       (for example); teach her to have humility and to serve others.
      ** Do not focus your attention on your daughter's outward appearance.  If you make
      comments about her weight & appearance then she is likely to believe your love and 
      approval are dependent on the way she looks.  
      **Even as a daughter develops into her teenage years, it is important for the father to continue to
      be affectionate toward his daughter.
      ** Do NOT be afraid to set boundaries with your daughter's attire.  Speak up and protect your 
      daughter's purity!  Loving boundaries are a gift to your child; it gives your daughter security.  
      **Teenager tantrums are not that different from toddler tantrums.  Do not take their words
      personally.  Your daughter may say she "hates you" but underneath that venom is a 
      little girl who is crying out to know that you love her even at her very worst.
        I hope you enjoy it as much as Brad and I did! 












      No comments:

      Post a Comment