Family Photo

Family Photo

Thursday, September 18, 2014

More Williamsburg


When I think of Williamsburg, one of the first images that comes to my mind is drummer boy and drums. So, a big priority for us during our visit to Williamsburg was to see the fifes and drums. They were scheduled to march down Duke of Gloucester Street at 1:00 PM. 

It was great fun to watch the talented young boys play their instruments.  
After the fifes and drums, it was time for lunch.

We decided to eat at Shield Tavern for our colonial lunch experience.  


The girls enjoyed chicken tenders, fries, and fruit salad for their lunch.   I ordered a delicious Shield's Apple Salat (that's the correct spelling in colonial times) with seasonal greens and chopped apples, blue cheese, raisins, and pecans. It was delicious and hit the spot. 

Brad had the gumbo. Brad and I both saw someone eating the gumbo as we walked into the restaurant and it looked amazing. So Brad decided to give it a try and he gave me a bite too!   It was pretty good!  But I should give the disclaimer that we have super high standards for gumbo.   In college, our church had a yearly gumbo contest, along with a square dancing night. Brad and I led a small group and as a group we decided to enter the contest. We won 1st PLACE for our gumbo!  :-) I was so proud of all of us.  
Also, just as we arrived, a lady harpist arrived and gave us a small concert.  I love the harp. It is the national symbol of Ireland (where I went with my mom for my 16th birthday) and we also had a harp play at our wedding. :-)  Don't you love my random commentary?  This is how my brain works. I know that what I am saying has very little to do with Colonial Williamsburg! :-)

Anna thought the colonial alphabet was funny because it was missing some letters. :-)

Mrs. Shields came to greet us and shared a little about her family (she had two daughters)
and the responsibilities that went along with running a tavern.
Then, we made our way to the blacksmith. 

The girls did a little scavenger hunt in Williamsburg and this was their last stop before they won a prize.  The prize was a pin with the lady blacksmith photo on it.  

Over twenty years ago, I visited Williamsburg with my family and our dear friends, the Davis Family.   We spent an entire week in Williamburg and during that time, we also visited Jamestowne and made a day-trip to Washington D.C.    For some reason this house with it's back porch is an image that sticks in my mind from that trip!  So, Brad sweetly took a photo of Anna and I on the steps!  

It began to drizzle in the late afternoon. 
The girls were careful to make sure their dresses didn't get dirty!  

A man on the carriage, as well as the people inside, greeted the girls and complimented them on their beautiful dresses.

Then we went by the house that they call "Felicity's House"!  We read all of Felicity's stories a couple of Christmases ago.  We all enjoyed the stories immensely. I even cried in some of the stories when Felicity's mom was sick at Christmas. 

Then, we went to the Governor's Palace. 

Anna with a colonial crib.  


When we first walked into the palace, I noticed that there were several bird cages in the pantry! I asked our wonderful guide about them and she said that birds were very popular pets in colonial times.  In the dining room, she pointed out that there was a music box next to the bird cage. They did that so the bird could be trained to sing certain tunes.
My friend, Micki, made this beautiful Felicity Governor's ball gown for Faith. I thought it would be very fitting for me to take a photo of Faith in the Governor's Palace Ballroom.  It was the perfect ending to a memorable visit to Colonial Williamsburg. 


No comments:

Post a Comment