Family Photo

Family Photo

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Scotland

I remember when I visited Scotland in 2007 and I was shocked to see that there was graffiti on some of the walls of Edinburgh that said, "FREE SCOTLAND"!

Now, seven years later, Scotland is deciding whether or not they would like to be an independent country from Great Britain.

No one knows the outcome of today's referendum, but I do know today is a momentous day in the history of Scotland.

A few photos, as well as my post from 2007 with more photos:
 http://thebradholmesfamily.blogspot.com/2007/04/edinburgh-scotland-with-friends.html

I wrote this post before remembering that I had already written one in 2007. It's funny the things that do (and don't) stick in your mind after seven years.
This is my friend Cheryl, Jillian, and I in Scotland in April of 2007 (from when we lived in Cambridge).  Cheryl was from Northern Ireland and was a teacher in the nearby city of Ely. 

She was engaged to a graduate student at a Cambridge who happened to be a Scottish man named David.   In the spring, Cheryl invited another friend, Jillian, and I to visit David's family in Edinburgh with her.  

It was a seven to eight hour drive from 
Cambridge to Edinburgh. The car we drove was super small, had a manual shift, and there was no air conditioning! To top that, there were lots of roundabouts, it was the perfect conditions for terrible car sickness.  Poor Jillian threw up three times and I (being three months pregnant) threw up one time. 

This photo was taken close to the Heart of Midlothian where I spit in public (I never do that!) for good luck! 

The Edinburgh Castle

My adorable 18 month old Jillian

An aerial view of Edinburgh.

Jillian with the HMY Brittania in the background- I love seeing photos of my baby, who cares about the boat?   

 Vicki, Cheryl and I enjoying the Queen's former yacht! "Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia is the former Royal yacht of the British monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, in service from 1954 to 1997. "
The Scottish Parliament Building opened in October 2004.  

It was nearly brand spankin' new when we visited in 2007 and as you can see, 
very modern in its design.

These are David's grandparents, our hosts for the time we spent in Scotland. They were the sweetest elderly couple. They introduced Jillian and I to the most delicious ice-cream called Mackie's of Scotland , along with traditional Scottish food, and in the evening we enjoyed watching some British garden and game-shows together.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment