Family Photo

Family Photo

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Our Bedroom Makeover

When we arrived to Cambridge and I first saw our flat, I thought I was going to burst into tears when I saw the pukey brown duvet cover that was on our bed. In addition to that, our pillows could not have been more flat and uncomfortable to sleep with! So the first thing we did was invest into two pillows that were sleepable! The only thing I could appreciate about our room at the time (and still do) was that our bed was HUGE by European standards. Although, it measures the same as a Queen bed in the States, it is considered a King bed in England! So we are super blessed with that. And I am happy to say that I think that there has been a tremendous transformation to our bedroom, since we moved here nearly 12 months ago (in 12 days, it will be a YEAR!)




Sweet Jillian ready to give us a tour of her mommy and daddy's room! She loves our room, I think because we get to have lots of cuddle time on the bed together!



To continue with our very inexpensive "mini-makeover"...our friend Ruth had an extra duvet cover and sheets that she has given to us to use the entire two years that we are here! The most recent addition/ completion to our bedroom decor has been a valance (what we call a bed skirt in the States). We went 10 1/2 months without a bedskirt on our bed, because I just couldn't bring myself to buy the least expensive one I could find anywhere (it was $40). But we were delighted, to be given this valance, by someone who had decided to change the decor of their room and didn't want it anymore!

We bought our Renoir framed picture at a charity shop, my friend Kristen in Maryland sent me a candle for our room (as well as some other decorations for our home), and Jenaby in Colorado sent me the beautiful framed photo of a sunset on the Amazon ( she took the picture while on a mission trip there this last year)! Very slowly, it has been transformed into a place that I find to be a little sanctuary.

And in this last month, my sweet friend Kristin in England gave us her second rocking chair (that she wasn't using) for long as we need/ want it! I am very excited to have a comfy chair for rocking and nursing our baby in the middle of the night!



We are all ready for baby girl #2. Jillian knows that the moses basket is for "baby", but she often likes to put her in baby dolls in there and she will tell me to "sing" (an indication that she wants me to sing the baby a lullaby) or "hush" to quiet the baby down! :) Also, you can see our Chariot Carrier in the background (it hooks up to the back of our bike). It is a two-seater and we have a baby sling, that will allow us to transport our baby too! :) We use it quite frequently to make big runs to the store, especially for nappies (diapers).



Our bedroom has a window that overlooks our "private garden" (a backyard is called a "garden" in England), which is great for Jillian to play in with her chalk and bubbles. She also has 3 CARS (more specifically, one tractor, one car, and one Thomas the Train) out there. She shares with all of her friends and has a blast outside.



Jillian doesn't ordinarily sleep in bed with us, but the other morning she wanted to cuddle when she first woke up and I was still exhausted from the night before when I hadn't slept well (I have had a cold for the last 3 weeks). So we fell asleep together, and Brad surprised me by taking this really sweet picture!

1 comment:

  1. Your room looks great! I'm glad you were able to make it feel more homey. I can't believe baby #2 is so close to making her arrival. I can't wait to see her and hear her name! By the way, will you email me your address when you get the chance?

    ReplyDelete