Family Photo

Family Photo

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Blessed by Family Visit- Part II

London Day 2- Shakespeare's Globe and The National Gallery of Art
AND Cambridge Day 3 and 4

Our second day in London, we first went to Shakespeare's Globe, which was an incredible reproduction of the theatre used in Shakespeare's time. And then we went to a pub for lunch, where I had some authentic fish and chips for the first time since being in ENGLAND! Then we went to one of the most remarkable art collections found anywhere in the world. All of North America only has one Leonardo Da Vinca and the National Gallery of Art had three of his paintings. We saw Michaelangelo, Rembrandt, Monet, Manet, Suerat, Renoir (my favorite), Van Gogh, Degas, Gauguin, and countless other renowned artists!
Then early that evening we returned to Cambridge. (I've included a picture of the outside of St. Paul's Cathedral and Sherlock Holmes pub in London, because when Brad first introduced himself, he introduced himself, as Brad Holmes, "as in Sherlock Holmes", isn't that hilarious?!!)

The next morning, Brad made up some of his Hungry Jack pancakes (included in the treats that they brought us from the States) for all of us and then we went to explore the city of Cambridge. First, we saw King's College Chapel (included in this post is a picture of the inside of King's!). And then we walked through the market, and to Sainsbury's where I grocery shop! Marilyn especially was eager to see where we walked, shopped, and just what we did on a day-to-day basis. It was a day-in-the life of the Holmes' family in England! Then we just did a little touristy shopping and I got treated to a matching women's version of Brad's fleece that has the University of Cambridge emblem on it! I am really excited about it, and I know its something I will enjoy for a long time (I even wore it just today)! :) Then the girls went to high tea at the University Arms hotel complete with finger sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and fruit cake and brownies! That night, we went out to eat AGAIN, which is a really special treat for us, and experienced our first Chinese food in England. And I must say, it was delicious (the place we went to was voted #1 Chinese in all of southern England)! I had prawns (shrimp) with asparagus and Brad had the closest thing to Mongolian Beef since Jin's in College Station!

The next day, was Sunday and we all went to church together, which as always, was wonderful. Then we went back to the house and had quesadillas! We had planned on going on an afternoon punt ride, but it was raining really hard outside, so we re-created what it would have been like inside! :) I felt very blessed by their visit, we could not have had a better time! It was sad for us to say good-bye, but I can't wait to see them in a month!












No comments:

Post a Comment