Family Photo

Family Photo

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Birthday Surprise

On the same day that we went to P.F. Chang's for a "pretend" birthday celebration, we had care group at the Lockard's house that evening. Every meeting, we rotate which family brings dessert and it was our week to bring something. Originally, I thought it would be fun to have cake in celebration of some of our household March birthdays and shared that idea with Brad when we signed up.  But its no fun if the person you are doing cake for knows you are going to do it!

So when we were having lunch at P.F. Chang's I told Brad that I didn't have any eggs in the house and that I didn't think I had time to order/get a cake for that night. I asked him if he thought it would be okay if I just did some Pillsbury ready to bake cookies and he said "Sure".  I am not sure if he really believed me that I was going to do it !  But when he got home that night I had a nice little platter of an assortment of cookies.

The girls knew the TRUTH that I  had already dropped off the cake and ice-cream at the Lockard's earlier in the day.  I told the girls up and down at least a couple of dozen times that we couldn't tell Daddy that we were having CAKE at the Lockard's (don't ask me why I didn't also emphasize the ice-cream part of the equation).  

I knew it would be super hard for my little girls to keep the secret, especially because Brad always asks them about their days. (The girls would like nothing more than to tell their daddy that they saw Ava and Andrew and got a pretty cake.)  So I decided that I needed to eliminate as much talking between the girls and Brad in the two hours between him getting home and us being at care group.

So....I pre-warned Brad on the phone that I really needed to go to Kohl's before care group to use my 30% off coupon and buy a gift for a birthday party.   So we all hurriedly ate dinner and then ventured out to Kohl's to hopefully divert the girls from spilling the news of our surprise that night.

The distraction nearly worked, but as I was checking out at Kohl's and Brad began making his way to the van with the girls, Brad told the girls, "We're going to the Lockard's now."
Faith excitedly said to her daddy, "We're going to have ICE-CREAM at the Lockard's!"
Brad replied, "No, honey, I think we are going to have cookies."
At this point, Jillian began pulling on Faith's arm and saying, "Faith...shhhh!!"
At that point, Brad had a good suspicion that we might be having ice-cream that night. :-)
Oh well. It was fun trying to surprise him. And believe it or not, I think he was still a little surprised by the cake.


The Diversion

Brad took these cookies/ chocolates along with the remaining cake to work the next day.  He has made a lot of new friends.  :-)  Brad carpools with our Russian neighbor, Michael, and Michael especially enjoyed sampling some of the American treats.  He thought the Oreos were fantastic and asked Brad, "Where can I buy these?"

"Happy 29th Birthday Brad!" Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing for my Sweetheart! 

Anna looks a little confused about what is going on, but its good practice for her birthday coming up!

I only put nine candles on the cake to make Brad feel a little younger and also to ensure he got to make his birthday wish! :-)  Not really! The Lockard's generously contributed their candles for the cake and I didn't want to be greedy and use all of them.

Brad admitted to me he was a little disappointed with the cookies and was so excited that we had cake and Breyer's ice-cream (it is our favorite now, we had to leave Blue Bell behind in Texas).  

Little Anna is doing such a good job standing up by herself but she isn't walking yet!   

I'll be honest I am happy to keep Anna my crawling baby for a little longer...

Because before I know it she will be my running toddler. 

Andrew, Joe, Brad, and Jon- Brad has really been blessed by these guy's friendships.
This summer it will be three years since our family's friendship began with these wonderful people! :-) 

Ava enjoying the birthday cake

Jacob and his mom, Kristin

Naomi, BUMP #3, and Madeline



Our wonderful Care Group Baby-sitter, Grace, also our music pastor's daughter. My girls loves Grace and she is amazing with all the kids.

Faith is so funny.  She is so fashionable with her scarf that she put on all by herself! Happy Birthday Daddy & Brad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment