Family Photo

Family Photo

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Least Among You DVD Review

The Least Among You

"Pain is like a holy angel who reveals treasures to men which otherwise remain forever hidden." Samuel Benton quoting Dietrich Bonhoeffer
The Least Among You is a film inspired by a true story. In 1965, Richard Kelly, an African American man was arrested and falsely accused of assault and battery of an officer in the Watts riots. As part of his probation, he is sent to an all-White seminary. Initially, Kelly has no desire to be at the seminary but after observing the bigotry of the future pastors, Kelly desires to bring change to their distorted beliefs.
Sadly, Kelly is an young man who has had a difficult road in life. He is angry and immature in the way that he goes about trying to transform the campus. Thankfully the Lord places in Kelly's life a friend in the caretaker of the seminary, Samuel Benton. Samuel is an African American man and can personally relate to Richard's pain in the injustice of prejudice. But at the same time Samuel is a wise man who loves the Lord and speaks truth into Richard's life. Samuel is able to give Richard an eternal perspective as Richard seeks to bring about change to the seminary.
I will be honest, I found the character of Richard Kelly very annoying at the beginning of the movie and found it difficult to sympathize with him. For one, Kelly was very angry and confrontational with a man who wanted to be his friend. But as I have reflected back on the film, I realize the director did an excellent job of showing the transformation not only of the "white" at the seminary but of Kelly's life as well. Most all of this transformation occurred because of man who humbly served as a care-taker/ janitor at the seminary. God is not limited by what "station" we hold in life. God is able to do amazing things through you if you allow him to.
In addition, I found the film to be very eye-opening; I was shocked by how ignorant and racist our "Christian" leaders were only forty years ago. This was a well done film and it told a story that needed to be told.

This was a BookSneeze Review- I was given this book by the publisher for review but freely expressed my own opinion! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment