A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I had a mother who read to me.
~Strickland Gillilan
I love BOOKS, books of all kinds! And I am excited to say, I think my children are inheriting a love of books too. While I was a college student at A&M, one of the values that was greatly emphasized to future educators was the importance of giving children lots of exposure to books! This is especially important in the home. If at all possible, parents should try to provide their children with plenty of choices in books, as well as demonstrate through their actions their own pleasure in reading. :-)
There is a slight possibility that I may have taken all my professors' advice to an extreme. We have a plethora of books in our home available for all of our family to read. In total, we have 7 different book-cases FULL of books. In every single room, with the exception of the bathrooms, there are books to be found.
I couldn't resist devoting an entire post to some of the recent reading moments we have shared together as a family.

When Jillian gets home from school, Anna always brings a book to her big sister to "read" to her.
*Currently, Jillian is participating in a reading incentive program at her school called "Reading is Enlightening". The ultimate goal is for each child to read 3600 minutes by April 27th and become a Greek God/ Goddess. For our special reading time together, I have been reading Little House on the Prairie. She loves it and always wants us to read more! She has become really involved in the story and was extremely distressed when the Ingall's dog, Jack, was left on the other side of the creek and Laura was unable to find him. Thankfully we kept reading and there was a good ending. :-)

Saturday morning are always a good time to read too! :-)
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I had a mother who read to me.
~Strickland Gillilan
I love BOOKS, books of all kinds! And I am excited to say, I think my children are inheriting a love of books too. While I was a college student at A&M, one of the values that was greatly emphasized to future educators was the importance of giving children lots of exposure to books! This is especially important in the home. If at all possible, parents should try to provide their children with plenty of choices in books, as well as demonstrate through their actions their own pleasure in reading. :-)
There is a slight possibility that I may have taken all my professors' advice to an extreme. We have a plethora of books in our home available for all of our family to read. In total, we have 7 different book-cases FULL of books. In every single room, with the exception of the bathrooms, there are books to be found.
I couldn't resist devoting an entire post to some of the recent reading moments we have shared together as a family.

When Jillian gets home from school, Anna always brings a book to her big sister to "read" to her.
*Currently, Jillian is participating in a reading incentive program at her school called "Reading is Enlightening". The ultimate goal is for each child to read 3600 minutes by April 27th and become a Greek God/ Goddess. For our special reading time together, I have been reading Little House on the Prairie. She loves it and always wants us to read more! She has become really involved in the story and was extremely distressed when the Ingall's dog, Jack, was left on the other side of the creek and Laura was unable to find him. Thankfully we kept reading and there was a good ending. :-)

Saturday morning are always a good time to read too! :-)

And reading in the evening is wonderful too! Is there really a time that it isn't a good time to pick up a book?

The girls and I reading Jillian's book that she picked out from the library. The book was Emily's 1st 100 Days of School and it was a delightful read.

Jillian is getting much better at reading. She has become much more proficient at recognizing her sight words and using context clues to help her decipher the new words! I am so proud of her.

Anna is already interested in letters and the sounds they make. Before we know it, she will be following in her big sister's footsteps and reading too.
-----------------------------------------------
BOOK CLUB:

The ladies who made it for our first meeting of Book Club (me, Michelle, Maureen and Lindsey). Our book for the month of September was my "pick", Pride and Prejudice. I read the annotated version and learned so much about the Regency time period! Through it I gained even more respect for Jane Austen and her writing.

I made plum crumble with custard, scones, and tea served in my genuine British tea cups for the occasion! As an added bonus, we watched a scene from both of the most recent movie versions of the book. It was a fun night.
Plum Crumble Recipe:
1 3/4 lbs plums, stoned, thickly sliced (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup granulated sugar or more depending on the tartness of the fruit
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Unsalted butter, softened for pie dish
Topping:
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
3/4 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 stick chilled, unsalted butter, cut up
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine plum slices, granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon in bowl. Toss gently. Butter 10 inch pie plate.
Topping: Rub brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, and butter together with fingers until crumbly. Arrange mixture evenly over plums. Lay sheet of foil under dish to catch drips. Bake about 45 minutes.



No comments:
Post a Comment