Family Photo

Family Photo

Monday, November 14, 2011

Sara Groves Concert

My dear friend Trisha gave me the most incredible 30th birthday gift. She gave me an amazing concert experience with friends. For as long as I have known Trisha, she has been a big fan of Sara Groves.  There have been many occasions when I have been at the Pull's house and have heard the beautiful, soulful sound of Sara Grove's voice.   Unfortunately,  I really never paid too much attention to it, but now I know why my dear friend loves the music of Sara Groves so much. Her lyrics and music have tremendous meaning.  Groves expresses her life story, her testimony through her music and many of her struggles are  relevant to our lives.


Trisha not only gave me a memorable evening but also gave me the gift of helping me to  discover a new favorite artist!  

Trisha SPOILED me and bought me this CD and I had it signed at the concert by Sara Groves.  Every time, I look at it, I think of my sweet friend Trisha and what a special evening we shared. I have listened to the CD in its entirety dozens of times since then.  Thank you dear friend! I am thankful God has placed you in my life. God has blessed me with your encouragement and taught me so much through our friendship. 

Trisha couldn't resist inviting some of her "other favorite" people (hehe...that's cheeky of me) to the concert too! We had a full Sienna with 8 people (including Anna who took the photo).  We left Germantown at 2 PM to drive 2 and 1/2 hours to get to Accident, Maryland.  Before the concert, we enjoyed a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant.  I had a delicious crab cake/ grilled chicken sandwich with the soup and salad bar. It was really delicious. 


The concert had a very intimate feel because it was held at a small Mennonite Church in Accident, MD.  All the musicians were outstanding and I loved every minute of it.  


More About Sara Groves Most Recent Album in her Own Words:

Sara Groves- "I want to be present.  I want to be present for things. I want to present for people. So I hope the record reassures people who feel like I feel (feel this freneticness) that there is a different way to live.  

There's a way to not just do more but to ask God more of what we are doing. Come with our days to God and say, how can I really connect with people? How can I really be a part of building things that last ....be a part of your kingdom in meaningful ways?  

Instead of running from the minute I wake up from the minute I go to bed trying to reach this expectation that I think is out there. I hope there is some quiet reassurance in this record. God has something for us to do and its going to be quiet and beautiful and I want to be about those things. " 

-----
"Eyes On the Prize" is my family's favorite from the album.  At the beginning of the CD you can hear the old hymn version of the "The Gospel Plow".  Jillian and Faith will repeatedly ask us to play it, "Again! Please, just one more time!" I think the record number that we have listened to it in a row has been 6 times.  It is also a beautiful song about persevering in our faith and holding onto the prize of Jesus. I find it uplifting every time I listen to it.
 
Sara Groves- "I was in a conversation with a friend at International Justice Mission about longevity and having fortitude for the long haul, and had been looking for a song to encourage those from the organization. Another friend had given me a collection of civil rights songs a couple years ago, and I just love listening to those songs rallying around freedom. We’ve spent a lot of time working with IJM, and trying to share this message of combating modern day slavery and human trafficking, and so I found this song and thought “What a cool song this would be to re-make.” It was originally called 'The Gospel Plow' and was an old hymn that was re-written during the civil rights movement to be 'Eyes On The Prize'.”


After the concert I went to merchandise table to look for the CD that had the "tooth song"! That's what I called it first to Sara Grove's son and then to Sara Groves herself. That is not the name of the song, but Sara Groves was so gracious and told me the name of the song as well as CD that it was on. Unfortunately, they don't travel with all of her CDs and didn't have it.  But there were no worries, when I got home, I ordered that CD along with another of her CDs with some of my birthday money.  :-) 
(To hear "You Cannot Lose my Love" with photos of Jillian growing up on our blog, go here. )

Unbeknownst to me,  my friend Maureen was taking these photos of me with Sara Groves on her i-Phone! Thanks Maureen! 

Once Trisha got there, I started jumping up and down (those of you who know me, know its true!), I was so excited for Trisha to get to meet Sara Groves! 

Trisha bought several copies for friends and family and even bought me ("the birthday girl") one too! Then Sara signed them, so we had lots of opportunity to talk to Sara! 

I said something really silly (I prefer not to say stupid!), but in retrospect, I think I was more nervous than I realized at the time. When Sara signed directly on the CD with a Sharpie, I said something about not knowing you could write on a CD!! Haha! Forget the fact that only the week before, I made a Princess song compilation for the girls birthday party and labeled it with my Sharpie!!! :-) Oh well, she was so nice about it! 

 Maureen, Trisha,  Rian, Lucy (Naomi's baby), Christine, Anna, Naomi, and me


It was a fun bonding night for all the moms. We were all exhausted when we got home that night at 2 AM (and it was a church day the next day too).  Sleep is extremely precious to all of us moms with young kids and yet I don't think any one of us would deny that it was totally worth it!  For one night,  we were the ones who were young again! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment