I have had the pleasure of making caramel apples with my friend Michelle two times now. The first time we made them was the day of Jillian's field trip, the second time was last Friday. The first time we did it, it was a spontaneous decision and oh was it a good one! I had no doubt I would like them (I mean, who wouldn't?) but I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed them! Brad was left speechless when he took a bite. All he could muster was, "I wasn't prepared...." :-)

The first step is to take off the stem of the apple and stick in apple sticks! The first key ingredient to amazing caramel apples are good apples. The Fuji apples pictured here were picked from the orchard (by Michelle's family) and were the perfect sweetness.

The first step is to take off the stem of the apple and stick in apple sticks! The first key ingredient to amazing caramel apples are good apples. The Fuji apples pictured here were picked from the orchard (by Michelle's family) and were the perfect sweetness.

Then it is time to pick the toppings: Marshmallows, Almonds, Pretzels (that was my idea, Michelle had never done that before and it became her favorite!), M&M's, Reeses's candies, and mini chocolate chips.

Sweet Faith all smiles! On the 1st caramel apple day, Michelle and Lindsey had watched Faith and Anna for me from 8:00 in the morning until 2:30 PM. They had the greatest day together and it meant so much to me that the girls were with two people they love so much (Jillian was even a little tempted to skip her field-trip, she wanted to be with them too!).

Then we put the candies on the caramel apples (including a couple of Rocky Road versions with chocolate chips and marshmallows). As a side note, I promise I helped make these, but I wanted to document the process too!
Meanwhile, Jillian and Lindsey were playing the piano together in the living room. I was so happy Jillian got to spend time with her beloved friend Lindsey!

The girls never tire of being at the the Smith's home! Faith was doing her best to be a helper as Michelle put the white chocolate in the microwave to melt.

This past Friday, after recovering from not feeling well, I made my 2nd batch of apples with Michelle! I bought some Fuji apples from Safeway (that were not nearly as great as the orchard ones but still good), caramels, mini chocolate chips, almond bark chocolate and vanilla, and Michelle found some mini Christmas M&M's & Christmas Oreos for us to both use! They turned out beautifully.
I Then I gave my 14 apples I made to ten Brad's colleagues, one to Jillian's teacher, and a couple for us to keep at home! Hooray for sweet treats for Christmas gifts and friends who allow me to use their great ideas (and kitchen too)!





No comments:
Post a Comment